Saturday, April 16, 2011

Crumb Cake ~ From My Mothers Kitchen


Since receiving several requests for
The Crumb Cake recipe mentioned in my post 
"Please Come For Tea", I thought what better 
way to share it than on my blog....Enjoy...

Crumb Cake

Preheat oven to 375 F
Grease a 9-inch square cake pan.

In small bowl of electric mixer, cream
¾ cup of butter {my Mother used lard}
Blend together {rub}
1 cup of white sugar
Add 2 cups of all-purpose flour
and blend until resembles cornmeal…crumbs.
Reserve 1 cup of this mixture and set aside

Sift together and add
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp nutmeg
½-tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder

Then mix in
2 eggs
1 cup of buttermilk or sour milk

Fold in
1 cup of raisons
1 cup of currants

Pour batter into prepared pan.  Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
Bake in preheated 375 oven for 40 - 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Cool 5 minutes then remove from pan.

From my Mothers own pen








8 comments:

  1. That looks so good. Just copied it down, Thank you so much. Can't wait to try it. Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome. I will have to make it soon and let you know how it went. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I'm going to have to try it! I love the photo of your mom's handwritten recipe, it brought back memories of my mother's recipe box with each card written in her hand and used over and over hundreds of times during her life. Treasures! Thank you for sharing!
    ~Josie Two Shoes~
    Two Shoes In Texas 
    Monday Memories
    Write A Letter Wednesday
    Words In Motion

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool, Thank you. Just wanted to check though 1/2 cup baking soda?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Corrected Linda... lol! 1 tsp baking soda ...thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't cook. Never. Well, maybe this time.

    Pop past to pick up your award!
    http://pensrandomjottings.blogspot.com/2011/04/15-words-or-less.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have an award for you , my sweet... could you stop over and pick it up??
    ENJOY
    JL&B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being a retired Chef I can tell from the recipe it will be awesome. I intend to make it this afternoon.Thanks for something delicious

    ReplyDelete

With this blog, my intentions are to step outside of my comfort zone of living to please others, in the hopes of finding like-minded friends and writers who seek to share ideas, ponder choices, and explore inspirations. I appreciate all comments on my blog (positive or negative) as a means of encouraging an ever-evolving dialogue.